If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (248) 246-0790

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Mold: Recognizing, Causes, and Solutions

7/5/2018 (Permalink)

Mold is a problem that everyone comes encountered with. Anywhere from finding moldy food that has been sitting to long in the fridge. To fuzzy black growth you find on shower tiles, and wet window sills. Mold is found in our environment outside, along with inside of our home. Mold spores are always floating in the air around us. The spores are typically inactive normally not causing problems. However with the right temperatures, dampness, and food these spores can attach and start to grow into the mold we see. 


Mold when active can vary in different colors such as black, green, orange, and even purple. Mold is slimy and fuzzy in most cases, but some can have different textures such as being fine and powdery, resembling cotton, or leather etc. One of the most common ways of spotting a mold issue before seeing mold is by the smell. Mold odor has a distinct smell of being damp/musty. More than often the moldy smell is the only lead you have on a mold issue. Even if you don't see any mold do not ignore the odor. Sometimes the issue could be hidden turning into a bigger issue of a mold colony growing.


Oxygen, food source, and optimal growing conditions are 3 of the 4 things mold needs to grow. The 4th key ingredient mold needs in order to start forming is a moisture source. Dampness, wet spots, or water damage are a few examples of a moisture problem, and when these problems occur mold most likely will follow. Surface abnormalities such as bubbling, cracking, peeling of paint or wallpaper, walls bulging/warped, or walls feeling damp are all signs of a moisture problem. Before assessing and removing mold you have to make sure the source of the problem is located and fixed. Otherwise it will be a constant battle of mold regrowth, and costing you a pretty penny along the way.


The removal of mold is something that needs to be done correctly. If not the mold will come back, and in some instances worse than before. If the mold is 10 square feet or less you maybe able to clean it yourself. Anything larger than that you should seek a mold remediation professional. Bleach is okay to use when getting rid of mold when it comes to tiles. Bleach should not be used on wood, drywall, paint, wallpaper, etc. These type of materials should be completely removed when mold has been detected. When cleaning/removing mold you should always wear the correct personal protection equipment(gloves, respirator/mask, goggles, ect). Make sure the area you clean is dried thoroughly, after all moisture is the reason the mold began to grow in the first place.

Mold is an issue that shouldn't be taken lightly. It can cause health issues, and make existing health issues worse. Mold is a manageable problem if addressed properly. Don't ever try to take the cheap or easy way out when it comes to removing mold. In most cases this just makes the issue worse, and your home is a sacred  investment that should be taken of properly.

Other News

View Recent Posts