Archived Blog Posts
Our Mold Remediation Process
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale has the training and expertise to re-mediate your home or business if a mold issue arises. Every scenario for mold damage is different and requires different solutions. However the general mold remediation process stays the same. Here are steps illustrating our typical process for mold remediation.
Step One: Contact Us 248-246-0790
The mold clean up starts when you call us to help. WE will ask a series of questions to help determine the right equipment, resources, and personnel for the job.
Step Two: Inspection and Damage Assessment
We carefully inspect the property for any visible signs of mold. Mold feeds on water and cellulose and can hide from plain view. We use different technologies to detect mold and any hidden water sources.
Step Three: Mold Containment
Here at SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale we professionally use various containment procedures to prevent the spread of mold. We use advanced containment procedures like negative air chambers to isolate the contaminated area with physical barriers and negative air pressure to keep mold spores from spreading while cleaning the mold. We make sure to turn off all heating and cooling systems to prevent the spread of mold.
Step Four: Air Filtration
Specialized filtration equipment allows our professionals to capture microscopic mold spores out of the air. We utilize powerful air scrubbers and HEPA vacuums to prevent the spreading of mold spores while the mold remediation is in process.
Step Five: Removing Mold & Mold Infested Materials
Mold remediation depends on the amount of mold growth, and the type of surface it is growing on. We use antimicrobial treatments and anti-fungal to eliminate mold colonies, and to help stop any new colonies from forming. If need be we also will remove mold infested materials like drywall and carpeting to re-mediate heavy mold growth.
Step Six: Cleaning Contents and Belongings
We use a variety of cleaning techniques to clean and disinfect your belongings. We will clean furniture, decorative items, curtains, clothing, and other restorable items affected by mold. We are also trained to remove odors and deodorize using fogging equipment.
Step Seven: Restoration
The restoration step gets your home or business back to normal. Depending on the level of mold damage, drywall, sub-floors, and other building materials may need to be removed. Restoration may involve minor repairs, or it may entail major repairs such as reconstruction of various areas or rooms in a home or business.
Contact us today and let us help you with your mold remediation: 248-246-0790
Storm Damage Handling
Major storms often bring violent weather, and with violent weather storm damage usually always occurs. Strong winds either from a storm or a tornado can cause chaos for a home or business owner. Knowing how to handle the situation if storm damage happens to your home or business could mean everything. It also helps when it comes to protecting not only your belongings, but your safety and the safety of others.
Storm damage can occur from a number of different things. Strong winds can cause shingles or tiles on roofs to become loose. Strong winds can uplift trees, or other objects that can be tossed on a roof causing impact. Wind is also but not always associated with rain. This is where the big issue lies when any type of damage is done to a roof. When dealing with a damaged roof this allows water or moisture to get inside of the home. This will cause damage to ceilings, walls, and even worse cause the potential for mold growth. Hail during a storm can also cause significant damage to a roof. Lightening is another one that can cause major damage to a home or business. It can cause branches to break off of trees, cause windows to shattered if hit, and also can start a fire.
**Handling the Issue**
Any type of damage to a home or business can be very overwhelming for anyone. Calling a professional restoration company such as SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale will help with acting quickly on getting the problem solves, and minimize the impact the damage has on your home or business.
First thing a home or business owner should do is make sure the power to the home or business is shut off. Storm water can soak into walls reaching electrical wiring. This also could be done with the water supply if any pipes are broken, and or the sewage system is plugged/backed up.
This is where a professional restoration company comes into play. Our trained experts will do an examination of the home or business. We thoroughly check the properties interior and the exterior. We will work with your insurance company by taking photo's of the damage for insurance purposes, and following insurance polices.
Roofs are always hit the hardest when a storm rolls thru. Water damage can happen quickly whenever a roof is in need of repair. The roof will be inspected and repaired immediately in order to stop anymore water damage from occurring.
**The Clean Up*
Once the roof is taken care of temporary or permanently the clean up can start to happen. When cleaning up water we make sure every inch is dry using our professional expertise. We will pick the right equipment needed to get the job done. Whether it is using vacuums and pumps to remove the water, dehumidifiers and air movers to stop mold and mildew before it even happens, to generators if needed to operate our equipment. We will also take the necessary steps in making sure everything is done correctly. We will re-mediate any mold if the water has been sitting for any length of time. We will pull carpet or wet flooring if not salvageable, and disinfect hard surfaces, shampoo savable interiors, and deodorize to stop any odors.
When contacted as soon as the first notice of loss has happened we will be able to save your home or business from a bigger issue. Even the shortest of storms can do a big amount of damage. Our goal is to fix, clean, and get your property back to looking as good as new!!
Commercial Water Damage & Flooding
Water damage/Flooding is an inconvenient issue to anyone being expensive, frustrating, and a stressful problem. These problems can be an even bigger issue if your a business owner. Commercial restoration is very crucial when ever flooding or water damage occurs. Calling a 24 hour emergency restoration company right away can possibly minimize the down time a company may have to suffer, and try to limit the amount of damage.
Water damage to a commercial building can arise from issues such as flooding, storms, burst pipes, etc. Water opposes a problem to the building ruining any type of ceiling tiles, flooring, carpet, drywall, and insulation. Water can also destroy your inventory, electronics/computers, electrical, and also causing corroding to machinery.
Getting a professional restoration company who specializes in commercial buildings should happen immediately. Leaving any type of water unattended will make for a bigger issue. Mold can start to grow from water within 24-48 hours. This could cause a bigger threat to your building, and make for longer down time hurting productivity and your revenue.
Here at SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale we have the training, experience, and equipment to handle large commercial water damage or flooding emergencies. We will work around the clock to quickly asses the issue, and get it taken care of. Our goal is to quickly complete the water mitigation work, and get your business back in production as soon as possible. Let us take care of you and your business if water damage or flooding occurs. Call us today at 248-246-0790
Commercial cleaning and restoration present unique challenges. You need a company that provides excellent results while minimizing the disruption to your clients. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services, SERVPRO of Oak Park / Ferndale has the training and expertise to help make it “Like it never even happened.”
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing & Industrial
Have Questions? Call Today – (248) 246-0790
Commercial Building Restoration Services
SERVPRO of Oak Park / Ferndale is available 24 hours a day to restore your Ferndale property and get you back to business. We have the expertise, equipment, and highly trained personnel to handle your commercial water, fire, or mold damage. We can also access the resources of our national network of 1,700 Franchises to handle large commercial projects and major storm events. Learn more about our commercial restoration services:
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
- Commercial Mold Remediation
- Commercial Storm Damage Cleanup
- Disaster Recovery Team
Commercial Building Cleaning Services
Every commercial property experiences wear and tear, including dirt and grime that accumulates from ordinary use. You can count on SERVPRO of Oak Park / Ferndale to make your workspace look its very best. Professional cleaning helps to protect your carpet and upholstery and increase its life-span. Learn more about our commercial cleaning services:
Cooking fires have become the leading cause of house fires today. It also is the #1 cause of home fire injuries due to victims trying to fight the fire themselves. Here are some safety cooking tips on how to avoid cooking fires.
Never Leave Cooking Unattended
Leaving food cooking unattended either on the stove, oven, or broiler is the most common occurrence of cooking fires. If you have to leave the kitchen for any reason you should always turn off the oven, broiler, and the stove. It is also a great precaution to remove any pots and pans from the heat.
Loose clothing, flowing sleeves, and even aprons can catch fire while cooking. If you must wear an apron make sure it is a well fitted apron.
Keep away flammable objects
Many things can easily catch fire if near a hot burner. Oven mitts, food packaging, towels, paper or plastic items, etc. Always remove any flammable items away from the stove top, or any other appliance in the kitchen that produces heat.
You should always have a fire extinguisher handy in case a fire does break out. If you have never used one most fire departments will assist you on how to properly use one in case of an emergency.
Grease/Oil are a common flammable substance that is used a lot in cooking. Weather we are cooking food with it, or the food we are cooking produces it, grease and fire are a dangerous combination. Always make sure the stove is cleaned regularly of grease. Never cook oil/grease at a temp higher than their smoking point(450 degrees for oil, 375 degrees for lard/fat). Even if the grease isn't on fire always wait for it to cool before disposing of the grease.
You should always do a double check of the kitchen either once your done cooking, before bed, or leaving your home. Always make sure the stove, oven, broiler, and any appliances in the kitchen are all shut off.
You should always be prepared to put out a fire if one happens. If it occurs in a pan of pot you should carefully smother it with a tight fitting lid. Never use water to put out a grease/oil fire. Lastly flour does not put out a fire flour can actually burn, and it makes a huge mess if you attempt it.
Practicing fire precautions are a big must for safety when it comes to you and your family. Always make sure smoke detectors are working properly, and have fresh batteries. always come up with a plan with the family and children in case a fire breaks out. Also always remember to stop, drop, and roll if clothing catches on fire. It is always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to home fires.
Cleaning Services here at SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale
Here at SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale we offer more services than our typical fire and water clean up and restoration. SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale offers many different residential and commercial cleaning services. Life happens and we sometimes need a deeper cleaning of our home or facility than the basic cleaning. Here are some residential and commercial cleaning services we have to offer.
*Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning*
We offer a range of different specialized cleaning methods which include: Bonnet cleaning, hot water extraction, deluxe precondition and rinse, show-case premier cleaning, and dry cleaning.
*Air Ducts and HVAC Cleaning*
If your not getting your air ducts cleaning regularly you could have a number of contaminants floating in the air. Dust, pollen, odors, debris, and dirt among the few.
*Bio-hazard Cleanup and Restoration*
The many bio-hazard situations we can clean up and offer recovery services to include: Crime scene residue, suicide/death accidents, homicide clean up, blood/accident clean up, hoarding scenes, chemical spills, etc.
*Ceiling and Walls*
Wall and ceiling cleaning should be a regular maintenance to help make your home or business look clean and refreshed. Also remember to always clean your ceiling and walls before painting any room.
*Drapes and Blinds Cleaning*
Fine fabrics and intricate pieces should always be cleaned using a wet or dry dry cleaning method. Here at SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale we have special portable equipment where we can come to you without you having to leave your home or facility.
*Odor Removal and Deodorization*
Odors can happens from a number of different sources both inside and outside a structure. We have been trained and are equipped to identify and eliminate offensive odors not just masking the problem.
*Sewage Cleanup and Restoration*
Water from a sewage back up should be handled very carefully. Sewage water contains bacteria and viruses that can cause serious illness. Water from a clean source if considered a category 1. Gray water with a significant level of contamination is a level 2, and black water is very unsanitary and considered level 3.
*Trauma and Crime Scene Cleanup*
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale has the specialized training, protective equipment, and experience for the cleaning of trauma and crime scenes. Our services include cleaning of: Fingerprint powder evidence gathering chemicals, tear gas and pepper spray residue, fire extinguisher residue, blood, bodily fluids, and tissue remnants.
*Vandalism and Graffiti Cleanup*
We act quickly to clean and remove graffiti and vandalism from any home and commercial spaces. Other services we also offer are debris removal, brick, stone and concrete cleaning. Along with driveway, walkways, and asphalt cleaning.
Need Cleaning Services?! Call us today at 248-246-0790
History of SERVPRO and the Growing Franchise it is
SERVPRO is nationwide with over 1,700 franchises in the United States, and some in Canada. Before SERVPRO became the big franchise it is today it started off as just a single painting business. In 1967 Ted and Doris Isaacson opened that painting business in Sacramento California. Soon after opening the company turned into a franchise of cleanup and restoration experts. SERVPRO sold its first franchise in 1969, and 10 years later in 1979 SERVPRO acquired Bristol-Myers Domesticare division which had 175 franchises. 1988 SERVPRO decided to relocated its head quarters from California to Gallatin Tennessee. At that point SERVPRO had 647 franchises in the United States. In 1991 SERVPRO was named the small business of the year by the Nashville Business Journal, becoming a key contributor in the community. SERVPRO corporate in the year 2000 sold its 1000th franchise and continued its impressive growth even into today. Now with 1700 SERVPRO franchises nationwide SERVPRO continues to be a growing successful business. The privately owned company SERVPRO Industries, Inc is still guided by second-generation executive leadership. From 2004-2018 SERVPRO has been ranked #1 in the Restoration Services Category.
Here at SERVPRO Oak Park/Ferndale we are proud to be apart of a great franchise. We are proud to serve our local communities. You can always expect an immediate response with SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale 24 hours/7 days a week. If your ever in need of emergency cleaning and restoration services call us any time, day, or night at 248-246-0790.
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale
Faster to Any Size Disaster
At SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale we are a locally owned and operated residential and commercial company specializing in restoration and cleaning services. SERVPRO provides 24 hour emergency service and respond immediately to any emergency. We have the training, expertise, and resources to handle any size disaster. With over 1,700 franchises in the U.S and Canada we have become a trusted leader in the restoration industry.
Residential Services Include:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building Services
Commercial Services Include:
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
- Commercial Mold Remediation
- Commercial Cleaning Services
- Commercial Storm and Major Events
We Proudly Serve our Local Communities:
- Royal Oak/Royal Oak Township
- Pleasant Ridge
- Oak Park
- Huntington Woods
We are always ready to help residents and business owners with any size cleaning or restoration emergency.
Call us today at 248-246-0790 and let us take care of your restoration/cleaning needs.
Severe Weather and the Different Floods Associated With It
Severe Weather happens no matter where you are from. One major issue severe weather can bring is flooding. Did you know floods have became one of the top natural disasters right behind tornadoes? Floods have not only caused a lot of property damage in the United States, but it has also caused a lot of lives to be lost. Some regions experience these types of different flooding more than others. However at least one of these could happen even in the city you live in.
If you live in a state that has a coast boarding the ocean this more than likely has happened a time or two. Tropical storms, hurricanes, and tsunamis are usually associated with causing this type of flooding to occur. Coastal floods are caused by higher than average tides. Onshore winds and heavy rainfall cause the tides to worsen. In a hurricane 9 out of 10 deaths are caused by the fast moving waters these coastal floods produce and bring onshore.
Yup you guessed it! A river flood happens when a river overflows. A lot of rain in one place can cause this to happen. Along with tropical storms or hurricanes dumping its contents quickly, or even when the we get a big snow fall all winter and it finally melts.
Inland floods are very similar to river floods. In fact river floods can actually cause inland floods to occur. Inland flooding happens when the soil becomes to saturated that it cannot hold anymore rain. Steady rain over a prolonged time or heavy precipitation in a short period of time can cause this problem. Any area can be affected to this type of flooding.
Flash flooding is usually described as a heavy amount of rainfall happening over a period of time. Usually can be up to 6 hours. Flash floods can rip through mountain canyons, urban streets, and river bends sweeping up everything along the way. Flash floods in some cases don't even need heavy rain pour to happen. It can happen from any sudden release of water like the breaking up of an ice dam, or a dam failure.
If you ever caught in flood warning territories there are a few things you can do to try and stay safe.
- Make sure to pay attention to the radio or television about the flood
- Put together an emergency kit and make plans with you family on what to do
- Avoid contact with flood water it maybe contaminated with sewage, oil, gasoline, ect
- Move important items to higher ground
- Never build structures in a flood plain
- If you have time turn off and unplug utilities and electrical appliances
Mold: Recognizing, Causes, and Solutions
Mold is a problem that everyone comes encountered with. Anywhere from finding moldy food that has been sitting to long in the fridge. To fuzzy black growth you find on shower tiles, and wet window sills. Mold is found in our environment outside, along with inside of our home. Mold spores are always floating in the air around us. The spores are typically inactive normally not causing problems. However with the right temperatures, dampness, and food these spores can attach and start to grow into the mold we see.
Mold when active can vary in different colors such as black, green, orange, and even purple. Mold is slimy and fuzzy in most cases, but some can have different textures such as being fine and powdery, resembling cotton, or leather etc. One of the most common ways of spotting a mold issue before seeing mold is by the smell. Mold odor has a distinct smell of being damp/musty. More than often the moldy smell is the only lead you have on a mold issue. Even if you don't see any mold do not ignore the odor. Sometimes the issue could be hidden turning into a bigger issue of a mold colony growing.
Oxygen, food source, and optimal growing conditions are 3 of the 4 things mold needs to grow. The 4th key ingredient mold needs in order to start forming is a moisture source. Dampness, wet spots, or water damage are a few examples of a moisture problem, and when these problems occur mold most likely will follow. Surface abnormalities such as bubbling, cracking, peeling of paint or wallpaper, walls bulging/warped, or walls feeling damp are all signs of a moisture problem. Before assessing and removing mold you have to make sure the source of the problem is located and fixed. Otherwise it will be a constant battle of mold regrowth, and costing you a pretty penny along the way.
The removal of mold is something that needs to be done correctly. If not the mold will come back, and in some instances worse than before. If the mold is 10 square feet or less you maybe able to clean it yourself. Anything larger than that you should seek a mold remediation professional. Bleach is okay to use when getting rid of mold when it comes to tiles. Bleach should not be used on wood, drywall, paint, wallpaper, etc. These type of materials should be completely removed when mold has been detected. When cleaning/removing mold you should always wear the correct personal protection equipment(gloves, respirator/mask, goggles, ect). Make sure the area you clean is dried thoroughly, after all moisture is the reason the mold began to grow in the first place.
Mold is an issue that shouldn't be taken lightly. It can cause health issues, and make existing health issues worse. Mold is a manageable problem if addressed properly. Don't ever try to take the cheap or easy way out when it comes to removing mold. In most cases this just makes the issue worse, and your home is a sacred investment that should be taken of properly.
Water Damage and the effects it has on you and your home.
Water Damage is a dilemma we hope never happens to us, but if it does it is a problem you shouldn't take lightly. A water loss can cost homeowners thousands of dollars in damages if not taken care of timely and properly. This can cause a bigger costly problem down the road with the risk of mold growth and mold remediation.
Water Loss Causes
Broken pipes, Clogged toilets, over flowing washing machines, to leaky roofs and foundation problems are just some examples of water damage causing problems. Water can cause major damages to appliances, upholstery, plumbing, house hold items, and more. Starting water remediation right away if a water loss occurs with a team of professionals can help to try and minimize these problems, and increase the potential of saving these house hold items.
Water Damage Hazards
Water clean up right away is very essential in the saving of our hard earned processions, however there is a major underline issue of why immediate water extract and clean up are important. This issue is to try to prevent/stop the growth of mold, and any other organisms that can grow. Mold growth exposure can cause many health hazards especially in young children, or people with immune deficiencies. Mold exposure can also cause risk for those with medical issues such as respiratory diseases, along with aggravating allergy and asthma symptoms.
If you ever fall victim of a water loss give SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale a call at 248-246-0790. Let us take the stress of a water loss off your back. We work directly with any insurance company. All you have to do is make the claim, and let us do the rest!
Tips on Keeping Safe During a House Fire
House fires are a tragedy that could happen at any moment. Knowing how to stay safe during this time helps with the chances of survival for you and your loved ones. One of the biggest things to remember if a fire is to strike is timing is everything. Remember to stay calm, and focus on these key tips.
Tip #1- React
Smoke detectors/alarms are a safety feature in homes to help detect a fire if we are unable too. Your main concern if your smoke alarm goes off is to get out of the home as fast as you can. If it happens while everyone is asleep you should yell as loud as you can to wake everyone in the home up. Also remember to contact 911 right away if you are able too.
Tip #2- Exiting
Before running out of any door to safety, you should stop and pay attention to what is going on first. Fire brings smoke which is very toxic when inhaled into the body. If you notice smoke coming from under the door the fire could be closer than you think.Keep the door shut if smoke from under the door is occurring. If smoke is not noticeable yet always place the back of your hand on the door/door knob to make sure it isn't hot. If the door/knob is cool to the touch you can slowly open the door to pass through if the coast is clear to any visible fire. If a door is open and you see fire that is stopping you from leaving the room, make sure to close the door to protect yourself. (If the door has smoke coming from under it, and the door is to hot to pass through a window is the best escape option if one is accessible. Be careful at the same time whenever having to use a window to escape from a fire).
Tip #3- Smoke Inhalition
As pointed out before the inhaling of smoke is very toxic to our bodies. Smoke inhalation can cause a person to become very weak, disorientated, and can even put you in a deep unconscious sleep. Smoke always tends to rise at first so make sure to get low to the ground. Always crouch, or crawl if smoke becomes visible in the room you are in. You should also cover your mouth and nose if you must walk through a smoked filled room. If you are able place a shirt or a wet rag over the nose and mouth, but only if you have these items close by should you worry about doing that.
Tip #4- Trapped Safety
If you find yourself in a position that you are unable to get to safety don't panic.While waiting for help the first thing you should do is try to minimize the amount of smoke coming into the room. Close any doors and try to cover any cracks or vents with cloth or tape to help slow down the smoke from coming in. Your first instinct maybe to open a window if one is present, however fresh oxygen draws a fire in. Make sure to keep any windows closed if you are not able to escape from it. It may seem scary if you are on a second story floor or higher, but if your able to fit thru a window and some how jump to safety it is worth a try. If there is a ledge you could even try to dangle your body down to try and get as close to the ground as possible before letting go.
Tip #5- After Exiting the House
Once you have gotten yourself to safety the first thing you should do if you haven't already is call 911. Next thing is to do a head count of the people who were in the home. Only re-enter the home or building if it is safe. Otherwise notify the first responders right away if someone is missing. While waiting for the first responders you should check yourself and other for any injuries. If any injuries have occurred do what you can until help arrives. Lastly you should always keep your distance from the structure on fire once out to safety.
You cant always prevent fires from happening, but you can always come up with ways to try and keep your family safe and informed if a tragedy like this occurs. Always come up with two escape routes per room, and practice with the family and small children to show them where they can escape in a time of crisis. Make sure smoke detectors/alarms are always working properly, and always have fresh batteries. Show everyone in the home especially small children how to open and close any windows in the house in case of an emergency. Most importantly practice fire safety. Always let children know fire is not a toy or a game. Always pay attention while cooking, and never leave candles unattended, etc. Also always remember to stop, drop, and roll if you catch on fire at anytime.
Frozen Pipes, how to prevent and how to deal
What is worse than a major home maintenance disaster? Try several major home maintenance disasters… at once. When a house’s water pipes freeze, the situation is not as simple as calling a plumber, an 1/8-inch crack in a pipe can spew up to 250 gallons of water a day, causing flooding, serious structural damage, and the immediate potential for mold.
Frozen water pipes are a problem in both cold and warmer climates, affecting quarter-million families each winter, and it can happen in homes with both plastic and copper pipes. It’s all too common, especially considering this damage is largely preventable.
In addition to taking the usual preventive precautions, here are a few steps you can take to keep your pipes from turning frigid nights into inconvenient, and expensive ordeals.
Before winter arrives
The three central causes of frozen pipes are quick drops in temperature, poor insulation, and thermostats set too low. You can prepare you home during the warmer months.
- Insulate pipes in your home’s crawl spaces and attic, even if you live in a climate where freezing is uncommon. Exposed pipes are most susceptible to freezing. Remember, the more insulation you use, the better protected your pipes will be.
- Heat tape or thermostatically controlled heat cables can be used to wrap pipes. Be sure to use products approved by an independent testing organization, such as Underwriters Laboratories Inc. and only for the use intended (exterior or interior). Closely follow all manufacturers’ installation and operation instructions.
- Seal leaks that allow cold air inside near where pipes are located. Look for air leaks around electrical wiring, dryer vents, and pipes, and use caulk or insulation to keep the cold out. With severe cold, even a tiny opening can let in enough cold air to cause the pipe to freeze.
- Before winter hits, disconnect garden hoses and, if possible, use an indoor valve to shut off and drain water from pipes leading to outside faucets. This reduces the chance of freezing in the short span of pipe just inside the house.
When the mercury plummets
Even if you’ve taken the right preventative steps, extreme weather conditions can still harm your pipes. Here are a few more steps you can take:
- A trickle of hot and cold water might be all it takes to keep your pipes from freezing. Let warm water drip overnight, preferably from a faucet on an outside wall.
- Keep your thermostat set at the same temperature during both day and night. You might be in the habit of turning down the heat when you’re asleep, but further drops in the temperature – more common overnight – could catch you off guard and freeze your pipes.
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to un-insulated pipes under sinks and appliances near exterior walls.
Before you skip town
Travelling in the winter months might be good for the soul, but don’t forget to think about your pipes before you leave. Here are a few things you can do:
- Set the thermostat in your house no lower than 55°F (12°C)
- Ask a friend to check on your house daily to make sure it’s warm enough to prevent freezing.
- Shut off and drain the water system (winterize).
If your pipes do freeze
What if your pipes still freeze, despite your best preventive measures? First step: Don’t panic. Just because they are frozen doesn’t mean they’ve already burst. Here’s what you can do:
- If you turn on your faucet and nothing comes out, leave the faucets turned on and call a plumber.
- Don’t not use electrical appliances in areas of standing water. You could be electrocuted.
- Never try to thaw a pipe with a torch or other open flam because it could cause a fire hazard. Water damage is preferable to burning down your house!!
- You may be able to thaw a frozen pipe with a hair dryer. Start by warming the pipe as close to the faucet as possible, warming toward the coldest section of pipe.
- If your water pipes have already burst, turn off the water at the main shutoff valve in the house; leave the water faucets turned on. Make sure everyone in your family knows where the water shutoff valve is and how to open and close it.
Grilling safety tips
Fire in the grill, under hot dogs and burgers, is a welcome sight at the family cookout. But fire anywhere else can make your summer kick-off barbecue memorable for all the wrong reasons. With approximately 8,900 fires started by grills each year, SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale doesn’t want your summer to be ruined by one as well. To keep you and your family safe while grilling, follow these general guidelines.
General grilling tips
- Propane and charcoal BBQ grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
Before you use your grill:
- Check the major connection points between the gas (propane) tank hose and the regulator and cylinder, and where the hose connects to the burners. Tighten if loose.
- Check the gas (propane) tank hose for the potential (gas) leaks. To do that:
- Apply a light soap and water solution to the hose using a brush or spray bottle.
- Turn the propane tank on. If there is a gas leak, the propane will release bubbles around the hose (big enough to see).
- If there are no bubbles, your grill is safe to use.
- If there are bubbles, turn off the tank and check connections, then have your grill serviced by a professional before using it again.
- If the leak doesn’t stop, call the fire department immediately.
When the grill is on:
- As you are cooking, if you smell gas, turn off the gas tank and burners.
- If the leak stops immediately, get the grill serviced by a professional before using it again.
- If the smell continues, move away from the grill and call the fire department immediately. Do not move the grill.
- There are several ways to get the charcoal ready to use. Charcoal chimney starters allow you to start the charcoal using newspaper as a fuel.
- If you use a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire.
- Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from heat sources.
- There are also electric charcoal starters, which do not use fire. Be sure to use an extension cord for outdoor use.
- When you are finished grilling, let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container.
Of course, accidents do happen, no matter what. If you do find yourself the victim of a grill fire and in need of help, contact us at 248-246-0790, 24/7, 365. The sooner you call us, the sooner we will get your summer back to sunshine, family fun-days, and backyard barbecues, “Like it never even happened.”
Water Damage Tips for Commercial Properties
Water damage can affect your commercial property in Metro Detroit at any time. Regardless of whether the damage occurs from a broken pipe or a weather related even, every hour spent cleaning up is an hour lost in revenue and productivity. Proper extraction and drying equipment and techniques is crucial to help minimize the possibility of additional damage and potential microbial growth after the water damage has occurred. Drying out the affected areas quickly and efficiently requires specialized methods and equipment that can only be provided by trained professionals, like the crews at SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale.
Safety should always be your primary focus. Make sure that the affected areas are marked so the tenants and visitors are aware. Here are some safety tips for Metro Detroit Commercial property owners who are faced with water damage.
Safety Tips for Commercial Water Damage Cleanup
- Turn off electricity
- Do NOT use home or shop vacuums to remove water, to avoid the risk of electric shock.
- Do NOT turn on heating or air conditioning units if the situation is sewage-related. This may spread contamination.
- Wash your hands following contact with damaged items.
Steps You Can Take Before The Professionals from SERVPRO Arrive
- If at all possible, stop the water at its source.
- Remove loose items from floors.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture to avoid any damage.
- Remove colored rugs and other items that may stain floor coverings.
- Take out wet upholstery and cushions.
- Pin up any draperies or furniture skirts to keep them as dry as possible and to prevent staining.
- Position plastic blocks or aluminum foil between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on and open windows for maximum drying in summer.
- Move art and other decor to a dry place.
Create you SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile
SERVPRO offers what we call an Emergency READY Profile to any of our business owning customers. The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile is a startup approach that provides the critical information that is needed to begin mitigation and recovery services. It is designed to serve as a quick reference of building and contact information. By working with SERVPRO’s Emergency READY Profile, your business will receive the benefit of other 40 years of experience in reducing the impact of any natural or man-made disaster. SERVPRO is a leader in water and fire damage response and can help you to quickly get your property back in working order.
The Advantages of The SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile
- A NO COST assessment of your facility – This means that there is no need to allocate funds, giving you a great value at no cost.
- A concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency – It will only take a little time to complete and will not take you away from current projects, but it will save you a lot of time if ever needed.
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster. – This can help you minimize the amount of time your business is inactive by having an immediate plan of action.
- Establish your local SERVPRO Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider. - you have a provider that is recognized as an industry leader and close by.
- Identification for the line of command for authorizing work to begin. – This saves time so we can begin the work of mitigating the damage which can save you time and money.
- Provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas and priority contact information. – Having a quick reference of what to do, how to do it and who to call provides solutions in advance of an emergency so that during the emergency you are “Ready for whatever happens.”
Fireworks Safety for this Upcoming Independence Day!
With the Fourth of July holiday just around the corner, it’s time to start planning and lining up the fun and entertainment. Many of us Michiganders will be lighting off fireworks in tradition and celebration of our country’s independence. In 2012, Michigan enacted a new firework law, allowing for state residents to purchase and operate bigger fireworks, year-round. Consumer-grade fireworks are now legal for purchase from state-authorized retailers, and must meet Consumer Product Safety Commission standards. This genre includes roman candles, bottle rockets, aerials, missile-type rockets, and reloadable shell devices. With these this new law comes more need for added safety to discharge these larger fireworks. Not only is there a heightened risk for bodily injury, with approximately 8,600 injuries caused by fireworks each year and 10-12 deaths, but fireworks are also responsible for over 2,000 reported structure and vehicle fires. It is important to know and practice firework safety, not only for yourself, but for your audience and guests, as well as your neighbors and all the personal property surrounding the ignition and viewing area. SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale is dedicated to keeping you informed and offering way to protect not only your home, but your family as well.
If you plan on entertaining with fireworks this upcoming Independence Day, SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale recommends that you follow this fireworks safety tips:
- Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance description prior to igniting.
- Know and obey all your local laws and ordinances regarding the use of fireworks.
- Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from building and vehicles, as well as overhanging trees.
- A responsible adult should always supervise all firework activities.
- Children should never handle fireworks, even sparklers. Only persons over the age of 12 should be allowed to handle fireworks, under close adult supervision.
- Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper because this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and that they could pose a danger to consumers.
- Be careful when lighting the fuse. Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device.
- Light fireworks one at a time, then quickly back up to a safe distance.
- Never relight a “dud” firework. Don’t try to pick it up right away either. Wait at least 20 minutes then soak it in a bucket if water.
- Keep a bucket of water or garden hose nearby in case of a fire or other mishap. After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water, or place spend devices in a bucket of water for a few hours before discarding to prevent a trash fire.
- Use Common Sense. Never point or throw fireworks at any living thing. Never carry them in your pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers. Wear safety glasses.
- Alcohol and fireworks don’t mix. Have a “designated shooter.”
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale wants you to have a happy, fun, and safe 4th of July. But hey, accidents happen. If you find yourself in need of fire or water restoration, call us at 248-246-0790. We are available to you 365 days a year, 7 days a week, and 24 hours a day. Call us any time, day or night and we will be there, SERVPRO is faster to any size disaster.
We are in need of Experienced Crew Chief, are you the One???
Our SERVPRO Heroes, is this you!??
SERVPRO® of Oak Park/Ferndale is looking to fill a Production Crew Chief Position
Do you love helping people through difficult situations?
Then, don’t miss your chance to join our Franchise as a new Production Crew Chief. In this position, you will be making a difference each and every day. We have a sincere drive toward the goal of helping make fire and water damage “Like it never even happened.”
Our Franchise is seeking someone who is comfortable working hard in challenging situations, enjoys meeting new people, has excellent communication skills, enjoys supervising others, and is a serious multi-tasker. If you are self-motivated and have superb interpersonal skills, then you’ll thrive in this work environment. Are you highly dependable and super-excited about routinely exceeding expectations? Then you may be our perfect hero!
As a valued SERVPRO® Franchise employee, you will receive a competitive pay rate, with opportunity to learn and grow.
- Explain process and answer customer questions, as needed.
- Monitor, communicate, and respond to customer needs/concerns.
- Communicate clear expectations to Production Technicians and supervise their activities.
- Perform production processes as scheduled and ensure quality control.
- Identify safety hazards, communicate, and establish control measures to ensure the safety of occupants and workers.
- Manage job file documentation to ensure complete and accurate project details.
- Manage and control costs of production projects.
- Manage assets by protecting and using equipment and materials properly.
- Effective written and oral communication
- Basic math skills
- High school diploma/GED
- At least 6 month of water/fire restoration experience, in a supervisory role preferred
- IICRC WRT Certification (include register number on resume)
- Valid Michigan Driver’s License with a good driving record
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds regularly, occasionally up to 100 pounds with assistance
- Ability to climb ladders, work at ceiling heights, work in tight spaces (e.g., crawls spaces, attics)
- Ability to sit/stand/walk for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to repetitively push/pull/lift/carry objects
- Ability to work with/around cleaning products/chemicals
- Ability to travel locally and out of state when necessary
- Ability to successfully complete a background check and drug screen subject to applicable law
Hourly pay rate is based on experience and certifications, with possibility of overtime pay and increases based on merit.
TO APPLY: E-mail your resume to SERVPRO9678@comcast.net
SERVPRO® of Oak Park/Ferndale is an EOE M/F/D/V employer
It's a Bird, it's a Plane, No, it's a HOUSE! How to Survive a Tornado
A Home Damaged by a Tornado in Lapeer, MI
Storm season is upon us and while we may not reside in “Tornado Alley,” Michigan still sees its fair share of tornadoes. Many of us have been bless to never have experienced an actual tornado, yet I’m sure we’ve all been under a tornado warning. Well we hope that none of you will be caught in one, SERVPRO wants to give you some tips and knowledge that can help save your life if you’re ever staring down a tornado.
First things first, what is a tornado and what causes them? A tornado is a violently rotating column of air which descends from a thunderstorm to the ground. No other weather phenomenon can match the fury and destructive power of a tornado. A tornado can destroy large buildings and lift 20-ton railroad cars right off the tracks. While scientist do not fully understand exactly how tornadoes are formed, they do know that a preceding supercell thunderstorm is needed. A supercell is an organized thunderstorm that contains very strong, rotating updraft. This rotation helps to produce severe weather events such as large hail, strong downbursts, and of course, tornadoes. Tornadoes form under a certain set of weather conditions in which three very different types of air need to come together in a specific way. It goes something like this:
Near the ground lies a layer of warm and humid air, along with strong south winds. Colder air and strong southwest winds lie in the atmosphere. Temperature and moisture differences between the surface and the upper levels create what is called instability, one of the necessary ingredient for tornado formation. Thank change in wind speed and the direction with height is known as wind shear. This is linked to the eventual development of rotation from which a tornado may form. A third layer of hot dry air becomes established between the warm, moist air at low levels and the cool, dry air upward. This hot layer acts as a cap and allows the warm air underneath to warm further, making the air even more unstable. Things start to happen when a storm system aloft moves east and begins to lift the various layers. Through this lifting process the cap is removed, in turn setting the stage for an explosive thunderstorm to develop as strong updrafts form. Complex interactions between the updraft and the surrounding winds may cause the updraft to begin rotating… and a tornado is born.
The Difference Between a Watch and A Warning
Your listening to the weather on the TV, your NOAA Weather Radio (don't got one? Get one!), or online. You hear that there’s a tornado watch/tornado warning. Do you know the difference? A tornado watch means that conditions are right for a tornado, and tornadoes are possible. This also means to remain alert and watch the sky. Watch for these danger signs that a tornado is immanent:
- Dark, greenish sky
- Large hail
- A large, dark, low-lying cloud (particularly if its rotating)
- A loud roar, similar to a freight train
If you are noticing any of these sign, you best take cover quickly. That brings us to a tornado warning. This means that a tornado has been spotted by a human eye or radar, and that it is moving towards you in the warning area. Take shelter immediately. Tornadoes are very unpredictable and just because it’s not on a bee-line course to you, doesn’t mean it won’t shift at any moment, change directions and end up in your backyard.
What to Do During a Tornado
So, a tornado warning has been issued and you’re directed to take cover immediately but you don’t know where to go for shelter… Here are the recommended safest places to go based on where you are:
- A Mobile Home/Trailer: Get out immediately and go to the lowest floor of any nearby building or storm shelter. Even if the mobile home is equipped with a tie-down system cannot withstand the force of a tornado’s winds.
- A Vehicle: If you can safely drive away from tornado, please do so. If there’s a sturdy structure available, go inside, go to the lowest floor possible. If you don’t have time or not sure if you have time, or you’re not sure which way the tornado is moving, you can stay in the vehicle, park it but leaving it running so the airbags will work. The airbags and the frame can offer some amount of protection but this is not absolutely safe. The other option is to get out of the car and lay down inside a ditch. See more in “Outside with no Nearby Structure” for what to do here.
- A Structure/Building: Seek shelter in the lowest level of the building (basement, storm cellar). Bring with you your NOAA Weather Radio, so you can get all alerts and updates. If there isn’t a lower level, go to the inner most room on the ground floor. Often a bathroom or laundry room can make a suitable shelter area because the water pipes reinforce the walls, providing a sturdier structure. Put as many walls between you and the outside and stay away from windows and doors. Get down on your knees and use your hands to protect your head and neck from any falling debris. You can cushion yourself with a mattress, but don’t cover yourself. Stay inside until the your certain that the storm had passed, as multiple tornadoes can emerge from the same storm.
- Outside with No Nearby Structure: Lie flat in a nearby ditch or depression and cover your head and neck with your hands. If you were in a vehicle, make sure you are far enough away from the vehicle so that it doesn’t tumble unto you. Beware of potential flooding in the ditch you are occupying. Do not get under an overpass or bridge, this will increase your risk of injury. You are safer in a low, flat location. Be aware of flying debris, a tornado can pick up significantly large objects and turn them into missiles. Flying debris causes the most tornado deaths.
You Survived a Tornado, Now What??
After a tornado passes and you need to take some additional safety measures. Wait some additional time to be sure that there are no additional tornadoes coming your way. Be careful as you leave you shelter, there might be some unseen damage and debris waiting for you on the other side of the doors. If your home or business has been damaged in the tornado, walk carefully around the outside and check for any injured or trapped people, and check for things like loose power lines, gas leaks, and general structural damage. Leave the area if you smell gas or if there is floodwater around the building. Call your insurance agent and file a claim. Take photos of all the damaged areas to your home, business, and/or vehicles. Call SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale as well, 248.246.0790, we will be out to your home ASAP, usually within 2-4 hours, and we’ll begin emergency services right away as we wait to hear from the insurance company to confirm coverage and obtain approvals. If the destruction to your home or business is extensive, don’t freak out and panic. The American Red Cross and other volunteer agencies will arrive to your area with food and water, and to set up temporary housing and shelters. Regardless the amount of damage your home or business has suffered from this storm, SERVPRO can help. “We are faster to any size disaster!”
Mold in your home, school, or workplace is a serious concern for your health, since up to 40 percent of American Schools and 25 percent of homes have mod infestations. Mold can cause several serious health problems that you may not realize are related to mold exposure. SERVPRO wants you to be able recognize a mold problem as well as the symptoms of systemic mycotoxicosis (debilitating symptoms caused by mycotoxins.) Mycotoxicins are chemical toxins present within or on the surface of the mold spore, which you then unwittingly inhale, ingest, or touch. These mold toxins are extremely potent and can cause adverse health effects.
Mold’s Favorite Places in Your Home
Fungi grow by releasing reproductive cells (spores) into the air, just like plants reproduce by spreading seeds. These airborne spores are invisible to the naked eye; it is not uncommon to find hundreds or even thousands of mold spores per cubic foot of indoor airspace. Spore are extremely small. 20 million would fit on a single postage stamp. Spores can survive harsh environmental conditions. In fact, they can lie dormant for decades until favorable conditions all them to spring back to life.
Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, provided moisture and oxygen are present. The most common indoor places for mold to take hold are damp areas, such as:
- Bathrooms and kitchens, especially under sinks – particularly leaking ones
- Behind or under appliances that hide sloe plumbing leaks (refrigerators, dishwashers, washing machines, etc.)
- Roof leaks
- Around windows where condensation collects
- High humidity areas for your home, such as basements
Often, the first sign of a mold problem is a “musty” odor. You are probably familiar with the smell of mildew-mildew is simply a variety of mold.
Know Your Molds
Mold is a type of fungus, like mushrooms and yeast. There are 100,000 to 400,000 types of fungi, with more than 1,000 types of mold that grow inside houses across America.
The five most common indoor mold varieties are:
- Alternaria: Commonly found in your nose, mouth, and upper respiratory tract;
- Aspergillus: Usually found in warm, extremely damp climates, and a common occupant house dust; produces mycotoxins;
- Cladosporium: This very common outdoor fungus can find its way indoors to grow on textiles. Wood, and other damp, porous materials;
- Penicillium: Very common species found on wallpaper, decaying fabrics, carpet, and fiberglass duct insulation; some species produce mycotoxins, one being the common antibiotic penicillin.
- Chaetomium: Chaetomium is a dangerous mold that little about which is known. This species of mold is characterized by a strong musty odor while thriving in water damaged drywall. Exposure to chaetomium results in classic mold related symptoms
- Stachybotrys: Extremely toxic “black Mold’ that produces mycotoxins that can cause serious health problems; thankfully, less common in homes that the other four, but not rare; found on wood or paper (cellulose products), but NOT on concrete, linoleum or tile.
Established That Mold Is a Problem
Mold spores are very difficult to destroy, even with cleaning agents, such as hot water or bleach (which is itself toxic). First and foremost, you want to get away from the problematic area – which means move if you have to. But come on, moving just isn’t an option for most. If you can’t move, there are some remedial steps you need to take to address the mold problem:
- Get a high-quality air purifier to control mold toxins. In addition to the mold itself, you need to make sure you get rid of any mold toxins. When a mold breaks down, it disintegrates, and every little particle may contain mycotoxins that have the capability of making you very sick. One option is a photocatalytic oxidation (PCO) unit. These unit can cover the whole house (up to 3000SF), they require little maintenance, and are relatively inexpensive. Please understand, no air filter in the world will take care of a mold issue until you have the humidity under control and the mold has been properly cleaned from your home.
- Get professional Mold Remediation. If your mold problem is sizable, or if you have black mold, your best bet is to hire a professional mold remediation company, like us here at SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale. Mold remediation is treaty and complicated and should always be done by a professional. Unless proper precautions are make, trying to remove black mold on your own is just as hazardous as doing nothing at all. Once mold is disturbed, spores are then stirred up and become airborne, affecting other areas that may not have been affected before. Professional mold remediation may not be cheap, but it is better than the alternative, and when it comes to your health, and the heath of your family, you can’t put a price on that.
When it comes to choosing a mold remediation company, it is always best to choose a contractor that is certified. SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale is an IICRC (Institution of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification) Certified firm. Our technicians are trained in the proper techniques to successfully remove mold from a home. We are also preferred contractors with several insurance companies, if the mold remediation is covered by your insurance.
The Process of Mold Remediation
Once an indoor air quality hygienist (IAQH) has completed the mold testing and verified the mold types, the severity of the infestation and what areas are affected, remediation can begin. It is important, depending on the severity of the mold, to consider relocating. When remediation begins, the removal of drywall, carpet, wallpaper, etc. can release massive amounts of mold spores. While containment is set to contain the work area from the unaffected spaces, if that containment is breached, those spores will be released and will affected the remaining spaces. Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) should always be worn while in the affected work area. This results in an exposure to a massive amount of spores all at once. This is especially dangerous when handling Stachybotrys or Chaetomium. Frequently, visible mold only accounts for a fraction of the actual mold infestation. Many species can penetrate beneath the surface, therefore making it nearly impossible to remediate without full removal and replacement. A dehumidifier is important to stabilize the environment and keeping the moisture level of the air at a minimum during the remediation. All affected materials should be removed; the remaining areas should be scrubbed clean with an antimicrobial solution and then sealed to prevent any re-infestations. Special equipment is placed in the affected areas to further remove any remain mold spores from the air. The area is to remain closed and contained until the IAQH has performed the post-test and the results confirm the area is clean and safe. Testing should always be performed by a third party to ensure the integrity of the results.
If you are experiences any of these listed health issues or expect that your home or place of business has mold, call us at 248-246-0790. We will walk to through this process and discuss your options. Please remember, never try to removed mold on your own, you’re doing more harm than good. Let SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale take care of this for you, it’s what we do.
Steps to Recovering after a Storm
Bad weather can spring up without much warning. Most of the time when a bad thunderstorm is threatening your area, you hardly have enough time to find shelter. As a homeowner, it is important to think about these moments before they occur.
Do you have the correct insurance policy? Is your home going to be covered in the event of a disaster? Is the amount of coverage going to be enough to restore your home? Thinking about these questions BEFORE the storm damage occurs can make your life after much easier.
Before you do anything else, stop and make sure your home is covered for the following:
Water and Windstorm Damage
Debris and Tree Removal
Sewer Backup Due to Flooding
Sump Pump Failure Due to Flooding
Additional Living Expenses in Case a Storm Forces You Out of Your Home
Once you have the proper home insurance coverage for storm damage, you can feel safer during the event of a tragedy. Seeing your home in ruins after a major storm can be heartbreaking. It can be difficult for families to know how to move on from this misfortune. The best thing you can do for your family and for your home is to begin storm damage recovery immediately. If you have suffered loss or damage because of bad weather, take the following steps on how to recover:
Take Pictures of the Damage
As soon as you are able, you need to start documenting the damage that has been done to your home. The trick to good storm damage recovery is keeping solid records of the damage. This includes noting any conversations that you have with your insurance agency and with the restoration company about the damage. You should be able to provide them with pictures and evidence of the destruction.
Make an Insurance Claim
It is crucial that you contact your home insurance agency immediately after your home suffers from storm damage. This is one of the biggest steps in storm damage recovery. Your homeowner’s insurance company should be able to provide you with support and structure for moving this process forward to restoring your home.
To start, you should find an exact copy of your homeowner’s insurance policy and determine if the damage exceeds your deductible. You will then need to work with your insurance company to get the necessary money and repairs completed. They will be able to refer you to local restoration companies, some may have preferred contractors that they will recommend, but the decision is ultimately yours as to who you chose to use. Once you have made your decision, report it back to your insurance company.
Finding a contractor that works directly with your insurance company is your best option, and it will save you time and hassle. Being the man in the middle of the two companies can be difficult. There are some contractors who make it their goal to work directly with your insurance company (SERVPRO is one of them) to improve communication during the project. This will take a lot of stress and pressure off you during this difficult time.
Make Temporary Repairs
Once all the proper claims have been made and the damage has been reported correctly, you can begin to make some temporary repairs. These repairs don’t have to be major reconstructions, and they don’t have to last your family forever. You can start by making your home livable again.
If you have suffered roof damage, place a tarp or plastic material over your roof to keep your home from being damaged further by additional rain. Begin the water mitigation process by having all the wet, destroyed materials removed and drying equipment put in place to prevent further damage from microbial growth. If you have lost a wall or large portion of your home, work on closing off that section of your house until you can do more permanent repairs.
Allow Your Family to Recover Slowly
Home repairs do not have to be completed all at one time. Storm damage can take several months to fully recover from and it is important to give your family the time that need. It might take a while before your home is fully restored to its former glory, but it is important that you take your time and get the job done correctly.
Call SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale if you find yourself victim of Mother Nature’s wrath. We are a preferred contractor for most insurance companies and we can work directly with any insurance company to take that stress off your hands, you have enough to worry about. Just give us a call at 248-246-0790 after your insurance claim has been made and we’ll handle the rest.
Fire Safety Tips for your Next Outdoor Party from SERVPRO!
With the warmer weather we’re having and summer just around the corner, outdoor parties in the backyard, or at the cottage are a delightful way to spend time with family and friends. However, safety should be your top priority when hosting any kind of party, especially when you’re using open flames for cooking, lighting or ambiance. Fire sources such as candles, portable outdoor fireplaces, sky lanterns, patio (tiki) torches, and fire pits can start a fire if they’re not used carefully. SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale wants you to enjoy your family and friends, as well as see you all be safe, so here are some practical tips to prevent fires during you next outdoor party:
- If there are children and pets at the party, always supervise them and keep them at least 3 feet away from any flames.
- If the scene is decorated with burning candles, use sturdy candle holders to help prevent candles from being tipped over.
- More than half of all candle fires start when objects that can burn are too close to candles. Keep flammable objects far away from candles and any other open flame.
- We strongly recommend using battery-operated flameless candles and patio torches instead of their more dangerous, open-flame counterparts.
- When a portable fireplace is burning, be present at all times. Or designate another responsible adult to keep an eye on the fireplace.
- Keep in mind that sky lanterns are prohibited by NFPA code requirements, so consider using something safer instead, such as kites or streamers.
- If you’re going to make a campfire, build it in a fire pit to help prevent fire from spreading. Never leave the fire unattended, and keep a water source nearby.
- If you’re grilling, keep the gill at least 10 feet away from any structure and don’t turn on the gas with the grill closed.
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale hopes that you’ll keep these tips in mind during any outdoor party and pass them on to those who plan to host outdoor parties this summer. SERVPRO want you all to have a wonderful, safe summer. However, if you, or someone you know find yourself in need of any professional fire, water, storm, and mold restoration services, contact SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale office at 248-246-0790. We are here for you 24/7, 365!
Flood Insurance Vs. Sewer Backup Coverage, Are you covered??
Flood insurance and sewer backup insurance are not the same thing, nor are they included in your standard homeowner’s policy. It is important to understand the difference between the two, whether you have them, and if you need one or the other… or both!
Floods are the most devastating natural disaster in the US each year causing billions in losses and displacing thousands. While flooding is a common concern for those near rivers and streams, all homes in the US can be caught off-guard by floods. Floods are defined as surface water that enters your home for the outside. A flood can be caused by spring run-off, melting snow, an overflowing river, lake or stream, or even a swimming pool. Excessive groundwater buildup that enters your home via leaks or seepage is also considered flooding.
Sewer back-ups occur when massive volumes of water overload a drainage system. Once the waste water rises above your basement drains, it pushes up into your home through not just those floor drains but your sinks, tubs and any other drainage outlet. Sewer back-up can be a smelly, filthy mess and can introduce black mold, harmful bacteria, and sewage waste into your home, creating health risks and extensive damage.
Both these events can be caused by heavy rainfall, and if you don’t have the proper coverage. you will be footing the bill for this. It is important to know what coverages you have. Based on where you live, one of these may not be logically for you to carry. Here are some facts flood insurance you should consider:
- All flood insurance policies are backed by the federal government, they set all rates.
- Flood insurance never covers contents in a basement. It only covers the basement’s foundation and drywall, it does not cover carpeting, paneling, or tile.
- Most flood insurance polices just cover the dwelling, in case the home is swept away in the flood.
- You can purchase flood insurance for the contents in the main floor, but it will increase your premium.
- Flood insurance will cover certain major appliances like furnaces, air conditioners, freezers, etc. but it will not cover stereos, televisions, furniture or other contents.
- Enter your address into FloodSmart.gov’s One Step Flood Risk Profile tool and the site will tell you how likely it is that your property will be flooded
- There’s a limit on government coverage.You can get upwards of $250,000 on the structure of your home, which in most parts of the U.S. is going to be enough.
- Flood insurance involves water coming into your home from rain, a river, a lake, or external source of water. Flood insurance does not cover water sewer backup, even though this may be caused by excessive rain water.
Sewer back-up coverage can be added as an endorsement to your homeowner’s policy. This endorsement covers physical loss to property covered by your policy if the loss is caused by a discharge of water or waterborne material from a sewer, drain or sump. For a loss to be covered, the sewer, drain or sump must be located on premises listed in the endorsement. Here are some facts to consider:
- Sewer back-ups are somewhat a common occurrence.
- The cost can vary, but the typical sewer backup endorsement will cost under $100.
- With sewer backup, you purchase specific amounts of coverage, i.e. $10,000; $15,000 or $20,000. This helps cover the cost of cleaning and mitigating the damage caused from the backup as well as replacing carpets, drywall, personal contents, even cleaning ducts.
- There are some exclusions to the endorsement, one being floods, as well as poor maintenance, power failure, nor will it cover the cost of repairing the sewer or drain.
- Metro Detroit residences should all carry sewer backup coverage, especially if they plan to finish their basement and keep a lot of stuff in there.
Understanding the difference between these two add-on coverage's in lieu of your homeowner’s policy is very important and can save you thousands of dollars if South Eastern Michigan experiences more of the epic rainfall that happened August 2014. If you have more questions or don’t know what coverage you do have, call your insurance agent and find out. Ask questions, be informed. SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale had a lot of customers that found themselves coming out of pockets $30,000+ to repair their homes after that storm, we don’t want this to happen to you.
High Pressure Washing Grease Spill Clean Up in Royal Oak, MI
Before and After photos of a food grease spill SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale cleaned up behind a local area restaurant
As we all know, we may never get a second chance to make a first impression. As a restaurant. it is important to maintain a reputation of having a clean establishment, not only for the safety of your customers but also to attract new patrons. Restaurants are the sites of many grease and oil spills.
When a grease interceptor overflows or a large of cooking oil spills on your property, it is imperative to immediately take actions to prevent heavy fines, closure and / or accidents. Grease spills can be very difficult to remove especially if not attended to immediately. When grease spills or overflow, it is imperative to immediately form a barrier to control it from going any further that it needs to. Grease spills can quickly cover large areas, especially if cars drive through and track the grease. You may then be liable to have the underside of those cars cleaned as old food grease can really stink and the odor can linger for weeks.
Habitually, many will use water to wash down the spill but this can do more harm than good because it will only make the spill spread further than it needs to. When washing down or pressure washing to clean up grease or oil spill it is important to have the proper tools such as a water recovery system to ensure that no water will go to city sewer lines. The fact that once the contamination pollutes the city lines, they have the right to close down the business and oblige the them to use only the city approved vendors to do the cleanup. City vendors will typically be more costly, in many cases more than double since they have all the licenses and endorsements such as hazmat, confined space, higher insurance coverage, etc. Therefore, it is very important that when you are victim of oil spill to be prepared by having the proper spill kit: absorbent, pressure washer, barriers, safety cones, and solutions.
Grease stains or spots can be very hazardous for the people driving and walking on them. Grease and oil stains are known can be very slippery especially when it rains or if in contact with water. It is essential that when there are build up of grease or oil to ensure that it is completely cleaned for the safety of the public. Failing to properly clean grease and oil build up can cause major accidents, which can lead to major lawsuits resulting in serious injuries to financial and social health of your business.
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale can give you professional high pressure washing services to get out the grease or oil spillage at your business. Removal of hazardous matter in parking or trash enclosure is important because it will reduce the risk of accidents and heavy fines. SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale can ensure that your business will receive a proper grease spill cleanup, complete with all the proper solutions and the necessary equipment. Schedule your appointment with us today. Let us help you make the best first Impression!
Commercial Kitchen Deep Cleaning Services provided by SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale
Commercial Kitchen cleaned by SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale is not only for emergencies or insurance losses, we offer commercial kitchen deep cleaning services as well!! We can offer the best complete deep cleaning service to restaurants and commercial kitchens. Our crew is properly trained, insured and extremely professional.
- Are you looking for a kitchen steam cleaning company that will guarantee to pass your local Fire or Health & Food inspector inspection?
- Are you worried your current cleaning company isn’t pulling a permit?
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale will 100% guarantee that Your Business will pass any Fire or Health & Food inspection in any city!
Our team is properly trained, certified, background checked, insured and extremely professional. We NEVER cut corners. We only use the highest grade chemicals, professional equipment and cleaning methods.
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale’s restaurant kitchen cleaning service / commercial kitchen deep cleaning services are designed to help you maintain the highest possible standards of hygiene.
Ovens, grills, deep fat fryers, extractor fans, walls, tiles, grouting, floors, etc will be steam cleaned in your kitchen, at a time that suits your business, leaving your kitchen germ free, smelling fresh and most importantly within the health and safety guideline.
If you work in the food preparation industry you will be no doubt be well aware of the stringent rules and legislation governing the condition a professional kitchen must be kept in. FDA Food Code, Food Hygiene and Safety state law is regulated by state and local health department – it goes into great detail about the proper maintenance of a working kitchen but maintaining the best standards can be difficult, especially when you are trying to run a business.
Commercial kitchen deep cleaning can be broken down into a number of categories, which are all equally important if you want to maintain hygiene levels that are compliant to the applicable legislation. We offer every service that you could need, including:
- Structural cleaning
- Cooking equipment cleaning
- Extraction cleaning
- Duct-work cleaning
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale understands that properly cleaned and sanitary kitchen is paramount to your business and we know what it takes to get you there, and other benefits of our work include the following points:
- Avoid risk of prosecution
- Create a space with better working conditions
- Reduce risk of contamination by bacteria
- Reduce risk of pest infestation
- Improve the image of your business
Maintaining hygiene standards is essential in the food preparation industry so ensure your establishment is up to par, by choosing us as your commercial kitchen cleaning experts. Call us today at 248-246-0790 to schedule your appointment. See what a difference SERVPRO’s commercial kitchen deep cleaning services can make for your professional kitchen!
Nine Fire Safety Tips
Fire safety should be a concern for everyone, young, old, big and small. Whether you live alone or have a family of six with your elderly parent living with you, it is important to make a fire plan and for everyone to know where fire detectors and extinguishers are placed in your home and maintaining a maintenance plan for them all. Here are nine very important fire safety tips that everyone should read. While SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale will be here to help if you find yourself in need after a fire, we’d much rather prefer that you keep your family and yourself safe with these helpful safety tips.
- Educate Your Kids
Kids have an awesome capacity for learning and understanding, so school them in fire safety. Children do really well with mnemonics and mantras and other tools to jog their memories in case of emergency. (For some specific tips, check out this article on fire prevention for kids or this comprehensive guide to Fire Safety for Kids.)
- Smoke Alarms & Fire Extinguishers
You should have at least one smoke alarm per level of your home, plus extras in every sleeping area and near the kitchen. You should also have at least one fire extinguisher in your home, and preferably one per floor. Check smoke alarm batteries & extinguisher pressure regularly, and change batteries at least twice a year. (Read more about smoke detector placement & maintenance.)
- Fire Sprinklers
Did you know you can get fire sprinklers installed in your home? I know, sounds fancy schmancy, but they’re actually quite affordable. In fact, once you factor in insurance discounts and increased property values, home fire sprinklers are actually a great investment in your family’s safety.
- Plan Your Escape
You may not want to think about it, but you do need to create an emergency escape plan in case of fire.
- Appliances & Electrical Safety
Nearly half of all house fires are attributed to faulty appliances, electronics, and electrical wiring. Practice proper electrical safety at home, including regular safety checks.
- In the Kitchen
Okay, the number one fire safety tip in the kitchen is never leave your cooking unattended! Even if it’s just a turkey roasting for hours in the oven, don’t leave the house. If you’re using the stovetop, take extra precautions and move flammable materials (napkins, oven mitts, etc.) to a safe distance.
- Smokers, Be Safe
If you smoke, you need to follow extra safety precautions. Keep lighters and matches out of reach of little hands. Always be sure to stub out your cigarettes thoroughly (or douse them in water). Never smoke near oxygen tanks, aerosol cans, or other flammable materials. Don’t smoke in bed.
I don’t know about you but for me, lightening is both awesome and terrifying. A lightning storm, especially at night, is absolutely gorgeous. But it’s also potentially dangerous, so remember to stay inside. Stay away from water (don’t even wash your hands). Don’t use electronics. And if you feel your hair stand on end, lightening is about to strike. Duck! (Not kidding.)
- Fire Protection Systems
Think of it like this: fire protection is to smoke alarms what a home security system is to DIY door sensors. In other words, a fire protection system links your smoke alarms to a security company, so they can monitor your home while you’re at work or on vacation, or can call the fire department in an emergency. Fire protection means someone else is looking out for your family, too.
Dealing with the aftermath of a fire can be awful and frustrating, SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale will do what we can do not only get your home clean, this also helps in getting your life back as well.
Mold Warning Signs: How to Tell if You Have a Mold Problem
Mold visible on the walls of this bathroom that was a recent mold remediation job of SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale.
Mold Warning Signs: How to Tell if You Have a Mold Problem
Find mold before it becomes a major problem
Discovering that you have mold within your home can cause you to feel many things. You might initially feel disgust, frustration or even a sense of being overwhelmed. Placing the home up for sale might be the first thing that pops into your mind, but that should be a last resort. Many people live in a home with mold and never realize it is there. They ignore the warning signs until the problem reaches a point where the mold is taking over and affecting their health.
Warning Signs of Mold:
Therefore, its important to be aware of what the signs are that you may be sharing your home with more than just your family. Signs that you may have mold include:
- A strange odor: Mold has a pungent smell. When it is confined to one area of your home, you may notice an unpleasant odor when you are in that area. Mold can sometimes live within the walls or behind wallpaper, and so you might not immediately associate the smell with mold. If you do notice an unusual persistent odor in your home, the culprit may be mold.
- The appearance of mold: In your shower stall or bathtub, its easy to distinguish normal soap scum from mold. However, in the basement or cellar you may have to investigate a little further to find the mold. Mold will take hold of damp areas, so if you have a wall or floor where dampness collects, mold could very well be there as well.
- Health symptoms: Because mold is not always visible, it can be difficult realizing that you do indeed have a mold problem. If you feel listless, congested and experience watering eyes while in your home, these can all be signs of the presence of mold. It is not uncommon for a person who lives in a home that has mold to feel better while at work or out shopping. Their health problems begin the moment they step through their front door. Mold can often be the cause of this.
Do You Have a Mold Problem?
If you do think that you may have a mold problem, you’ll need to put on your investigator hat and get to work. Check all moist areas of your home first. If that doesn’t turn up any mold, consider calling in a professional.
Contact the Professionals!!
An indoor air quality hygienist (IAQH) is a professional who has been specially trained to detect mold in your home and perform the tests needed to determine they type of mold that are present and where the mold is present. These test results are then used by the mold remediation company. These professionals are trained to properly clean up mold and remove all tracing of it from your home as well as the air and HVAC system, if needed. There are many types of mold, there are toxic and non-toxic, some can be airborne, some areas in the home may have the mold present while others do not. Without this testing performed, you cannot know the type of mold id present or the proper procedures and chemicals to use to clean the mold. The IAQH should perform a posttest after the mold remediation has been completed to confirm that the mold has been removed from your home properly and that the mold levels are back to normal. It is highly recommended that the IAQH and the mold remediation company not be the same company, therefore assuring that you are getting honest results.
It can be difficult to stay in a home where the mold is causing an odor or is visible. You may feel very uncomfortable; however, for most people a small amount of mold will not cause serious health problems.
If you do suffer from allergies and find it is causing breathing problems, it might be wise to find a temporary place to stay until the mold problem is addressed.
Ignoring the warning signs that you may have mold only prolongs the problems you will experience. Be aggressive in locating the source of the mold and addressing it. After all, nothing is more important than your health.
The best way to tackle a mold problem is to call us here at SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale. We can point you in the right direction for testing, (or you can find your own and share the report that is no older than a week old). Once that has been done and report has been received, we will come out and complete a detailed estimate for you. After you approve the estimate or your insurance company does, we will take care of your mold problem in a quick but professional manner. With all the different types of mold, SERVPRO technicians are trained in mold remediation and have all the equipment and cleaning products needed to eliminate any form of mold found, including setting specialty equipment to remove mold from the air.
Call us today at 248-246-0790 to discuss your mold problem. We can recommend some reputable IAQH for testing that we require prior to quoting any mold remediation. We want to ensure that we can get your home back within a normal range, “Like it never even happened.”
FREE CE Course hosted by SERVPRO on March 30th, 2017
CE Course Flyer
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale will be hosting a free Biohazard Cleanup course on March 30th, 2017. This course is designed to assist insurance agents and adjusters in understanding the processes that go into cleaning homes and buildings that are or may be contaminated with viruses and bloodborne pathogens, as well as dealing with customers who have recently dealt with a traumatic event that has caused this contamination. This is a two-hour course that is being held at the Ferndale Area District Library located at 222 E. Nine Mile Rd. Ferndale MI 48220. Check in begins at 12:30pm and the class will run from 1-3pm. Lunch will be available for all of those that attend, starting at 12:30pm. If you are interested in attending, please email Sarah at SERVPRO9678@comcast.net or call 248-246-0790 to get your name on the registration list and received a copy of the flyer. Please register by March 5th, 2017 as a headcount is needed for materials. We look forward to seeing you there!
Be Prepared for Winter Plumbing Problems - SERVPRO is Here to Help!!!
Plumbing problems can occur at any time, but during the winter months you’re more apt to experience ice cold showers, leakage, freezing pipes and flooding. One of the most severe problems that occurs this time of year is frozen or burst pipes, often with devastating results, e.g. flooding inside your home.
Be prepared for the emergencies with these helpful tips.
- Insulate your plumbing pipes against freezing.
- Keep the interior doors of your home all open. This helps heat circulate through your entire home.
- If temperatures are expected to drop overnight, let the warm water drip, preferably from a faucet on an outside wall. Even a trickle of hot and cold water can prevent your pipes from freezing.
- Open cabinet doors to allow heat to get to uninsulated pipes under sinks and appliances near exterior walls.
- If you’re going out of town during the cold winter months, before you leave set the thermostat in your home no lower than 55?F (12?C) and ask a friend or neighbor to check your house daily to make sure it’s warm enough to prevent freezing.
- Check with your insurance carrier or agent as to what types of coverage you have regarding flooding, pipes bursting, etc. as well as your limits and deductibles.
Here are some tips for dealing with plumbing emergencies:
- If you have a frozen pipe, turn off the main water supply by using the stop valve. This valve is usually located under the kitchen sink or outside of your home. Make sure to protect everything around the frozen pipe to avoid damage if it bursts. In this situation, the pipe needs to be thawed. This should not be attempted on your own… It is always best to contact a professional plumber to handle this situation. Your plumber is equipped with specialty equipment just for this situation and can address any additional problems which may occur.
- FACT: When water freezes in a pipe it expands and can exert pressure over 2,000 pounds per square inch, enough pressure to rupture most any pipe filled with water, providing no place for the ice to expand.
- A burst pipe can definitely be classified as an emergency, having the potential to cause serious damage to your home’s structure and electrical wiring. Keep the emergency number of a trusted plumber handy. When an emergency occurs you don’t have time to start searching for a plumber. (HINT: Check ahead of time about pricing, some plumbers may charge high hourly rates for emergency services.)
- When dealing with a burst pipe, turn off the water supply at the main valve. This may be located under the kitchen sink or outside your home. Next, drain the system by turning on all your cold taps and flushing your toilets. Get a plumber out to your house as soon as possible to fix the damage. You next call should be to SERVPRO to handle any water damage and structural drying that is needed. You may also need to call your insurance and make an insurance claim, if the damage is extensive.
Remember plumbing problems can happen at any time but by being prepared you can prevent further damage to your home and save yourself an even bigger headache.
FREE CE Credit Course 11/03/2016 1PM
CE Course Flyer
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale will be hosting a Free CE Credit Course for Water Damage Restoration. This is for those who are IICRC Certified and are in need of CE (Continuing Education) Credits. This class will provide you with four (4) hours of insurance course credits, course number 69553. The class will be held at the Royal Oak Public Library on November 3rd, 2016 from 1pm to 5pm, registration begins at 12:30pm. Lunch will be offered to attendees from 12:15pm to 1pm. If you are interested in attending or want more details please email us SERVPRO9678@comcast.net or call 248-246-0790. Please RSVP by October 14th as we need an accurate head count for course materials and such. Be sure to bring your IICRC card number to get appropriate credit for the course. Also note that late arrivals will not be admitted so please arrive on time, if not early! We look forward to seeing you there!!
Why You Should Always Use a Certified Restoration Company for Water/Mold Damage
Water and mold damage should always be handled by a Certified Firm like SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale!
A water damage restoration service is the kind of professional that no one wants to call, but when they are needed, it is important not to delay. Homeowners know that moisture is often the enemy, capable of penetrating into just about any space, and taking advantage of every little crack and structural problem. No matter how moisture gets into the building, the response should be the same. Bring in a certified firm like SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale as soon as possible to clean the home, dry it, and ensure there are no lingering health threats once the moisture is gone.
If water has entered the home through a contaminated source, don’t try to handle it on your own. Floods and sewage backflows contain a cocktail of deadly bacteria, viruses and fungi, and even momentary skin contact can leave a person seriously ill. SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale not only has the tools to eliminate the moisture, they have the protective equipment to remain free from harm.
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale restoration technicians have a lot of technology at their disposal. These include powerful vacuums and pumping systems, high volume air movers, dehumidifiers, heat injectors, moisture meters, and a number of detergents formulated for destroying fungi and other microbial threats. While the technicians work on the building, disposing of compromised materials, and drying the rest, they will also destroy all mold and microbial colonies. This is the only way to ensure a home is safe to live, and a business safe to work in; any other cleaning method is a dangerous gamble.
Metro Detroit Residents: We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration!
This Metro Detroit home’s basement flooded due to heavy rains.
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Metro Detroit basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today - 248-246-0790
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the tust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help 248-246-0790
IICRC Certified Firm
We are an IICRC Certified Firm
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
IICRC Certified Firms must
• Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
• Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
• Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
• Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
• Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the main industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace.
About SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
For Immediate Service in Metro Detroit, Call SERVPRO
Metro Detroit Residents: We provide immediate service day or night!
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Metro Detroit. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – 248-246-0790
Whether your Metro Detroit home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your Metro Detroit commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business.
Metro Detroit Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
In Metro Detroit mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 248-246-0790
Faster to Metro Detroit Water Damage Event
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in Metro Detroit
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 248-246-0790
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Restoring Your Metro Detroit Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
Commercial Water Damage Events Present Unique Challenges
Flooding and water damage events in Metro Detroit commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Oak Park/ Ferndale
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Metro Detroit Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Your Home.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 248-246-0790
When Storms or Floods hit Metro Detroit, SERVPRO is ready!
Our highly trained crews are ready to respond 24/7 to storm or flood damage in Metro Detroit.
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Metro Detroit, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 248-246-0790
Does Your Basement or Attic Have A Mold Problem?
Mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 248-246-0790
Oak Park 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in Metro Detroit.
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 248-246-0790
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale
SERVPRO of Oak Park/Ferndale specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.